Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Thingy 1

All this talk of "Thing 1" and "Thing 2" seems rather Seussical to me...

Well, the "Thing 1" module of the Skokie Public Library's self-guided learning program (of which this blog is parcel) was muy facil to navigate. Props to "the Team."

Frankly, I am sensing a shift in my opinion of blogs. Perhaps owing to an inchoate Luddite nature, I had largely avoided them, typically finding them dull or unreliable. And I certainly do not consider my life to be sufficiently interesting to warrant such preservation, even in such an ephemeral medium.

But this module introduced me to the idea of a blog as simply a kind of easily-updated website. Brilliant! And if a group of people or an organization is running the blog, well then that dissipates the narcissism at least, eh? Seriously, I can see how this would be a useful tool for cooperatively keeping up-to-date information handy for the audience "out there." I doubt a library security blog would be terribly interesting, though further applications may come to me as I let it percolate.

5 comments:

The Skokie Ten said...

You hit the nail on the head, Matt. Blogs don't have to be the angst-filled diary things that most people associate with blogs. Blogs as a format are just easily updateable websites that allow outsiders to comment on them!

Ricki Nordmeyer said...

Come on Matt...with all the whackos you encounter, yours could be a very entertaining blog
Ricki

rich said...

i agree with ricki. i'd love to hear more from the security perspective of libraries!

Tom Johanson said...

I am sure a Security blog would put the police blotter to shame. --T.

Lukie said...

And I was enjoying the narcissistic aspect! Not of yours, mine. I've always loved expressing myself in written words and found I just fell right into this. But more for myself--I don't really care if anyone else looks at my blog. I just find it fun to put together--and the challenge to limit myself to a few select, apt words ripe with possibilities of absurdity and more. But I understand what you're saying. Reading other people's blogs is boring for the most part--unless there is some unusual thrust to them--and they are out there if you should be so lucky as to discover them.